General Rules for Everyone
- Attendees are responsible for their own badges. This means presenting them when asked and finding it if it gets lost. JAFAX is not responsible for any lost or stolen badges. Once it is with you keep it with you.
- No outside food is allowed in DeVos Place. You may bring an empty water bottle. Food options are available inside both DeVos Place and the Amway Grand Hotel along with many resturants in walking distance.
- Please report convention-related issues, comments, or suggestions to staff or volunteers. Let us know immediately if your issue is an emergency requiring medical or law enforcement assistance.
- Harassment is not tolerated. Attendees are urged to report any issues of harassment to IRT staff as soon as possible. Law enforcement may be contacted to investigate these situations if warranted.
- Illicit drugs, alcohol, or other intoxicants are forbidden on the premises. Anyone caught being publicly intoxicated in the convention hall may have their badge revoked, and can be escorted from the premises.
- If you are UNDER 16 you must have someone with you that is OVER 16 with a government issued ID. (drivers licence, state ID, passport, college ID)
- Be courteous! Don’t do anything to someone else that you wouldn’t want done to you.
- No solicitation signs. This includes signs offering physical contact or anything asking for money. This does not include signs that are part of a specific character costume.
- Attendees showing excessive skin may be asked to cover up their outfit, or lack thereof. Body paint is not a costume and will not allowed to be one at the even. JAFAX staff members have the final say in what is appropriate. Please keep your costumes street legal.
- Balloons or similar lighter-than-air props are not allowed inside DeVos Place.
- No smoking is allowed inside any of the convention buildings. Please keep 20 feet away from any entrance if smoking outside.
- Do not create a safety hazard by blocking any of the building entrances, exits, or any doors. If anyone staff or not asks you to move please do move.
- Please obey all directions from staff, the IRT, or convention hall security. If you believe you have encountered an issue with any of the rules or the IRT or venue security, please inform JAFAX staff.
- By accepting a badge or participating in JAFAX at the Amway Grand Plaza Hotel or DeVos Place, you agree that your likeness may be used in photographs and/or advertising associated with JAFAX.
Our convention is proud to partner with the Federal Government and the State of Michigan in supporting breastfeeding mothers. Mothers are encouraged to nourish their breastfeeding children wherever works best for their family. We do provide an area (that is not a restroom) for mothers who desire privacy.
Below we have linked a copy of the Michigan breastfeeding antidiscrimination act for anyone who would like to review it. http://www.legislature.mi.gov/documents/2013-2014/publicact/pdf/2014-PA-0197.pdf
We will make the best effort to get everyone going where they want to go and doing what they want to do. Our venue is fully accessible, and we are prepared to offer further accommodation where needed.
We do not support harassment of any kind. Harassment includes, but is not limited to:
"Disrespectful, dismissive, or offensive verbal comments related to gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, race, religion, and family structure; Sexual images in public spaces, deliberate intimidation, stalking, following, harassing photography or recording, sustained disruption of talks or other events, inappropriate physical contact, unwelcome sexual attention, belittling one’s fandom or expression thereof, and advocating for, or encouraging, any of the above behaviour."
Participants asked to stop any harassing behavior are expected to comply immediately.
Please be advised that Devos Place features gender neutral family restrooms, and any attendee’s choice to use the restroom that best suits their gender identification will be respected. If you have concerns about entering your choice of restroom call (616)-606-3044 to request an ally escort.
If someone makes you or anyone else feel unsafe or unwelcome, please report it as soon as possible. Conference staff can be identified by special badges, t-shirts, and/or armbands. Harassment and other code of conduct violations reduce the value of our event for everyone. We want you to be happy at our event. When we get along, our event is a better place.
You can make a personal report by:
Leaving a voicemail, or messaging our PR line: (616)-606-3044. This phone number will be continuously monitored for the duration of JAFAX.
Contacting a staff member, identified by STAFF badges, buttons, or shirts.
When taking a personal report, our staff will ensure you are safe and cannot be overheard. They may involve other event staff to ensure your report is managed properly. Once safe, we'll ask you to tell us about what happened. This can be upsetting, but we'll handle it respectfully, and you can bring someone to support you. You won't be asked to confront anyone and we won't tell anyone who you are.
Our team will be happy to help you contact hotel/venue security, local law enforcement, local support services, provide escorts, or otherwise assist you to feel safe for the duration of the event. We value your attendance.
JAFAX reserves the right revoke the badge of anyone failing to honor the letter and spirit of these rules.
JAFAX Weapons Policy
All participants and guests attending JAFAX must abide by the below policy and will be enforced by JAFAX staff or the convention security team. Unapproved items may be confiscated. The following rules apply to both attendees’ costume props and vendors’ wares at all times:
- BB, cork, airsoft guns, or any weapon that operates based on gas, spring or air are NOT allowed under any circumstances (even unloaded).
- Plastic toy guns that shoot foam projectiles (such as Nerf guns) are allowed, but must be brought to our IRT staff to be peace-bonded.
- All prop guns must have orange-painted tips and/or otherwise be clearly marked and identified as fake. There must not be any confusion that the prop might be considered real by others (especially the Grand Rapids Police).
- Metal blades or anything sharp (edged or pointed) are NOT allowed. Even if the blade isn't sharpened. All prop melee weapons must be wooden, foam or any soft material. Example: A Kunai from Naruto.
- If you are purchasing a blade from the Dealers Room, you must have the blade boxed, tied closed, and the purchase must be taken immediately to your car or hotel room for the duration of the convention.
- Completely wooden implements are allowed. This includes canes, staffs, wands or practice swords such as bokken and shinai.
- Of course, firearms and explosives of any kind (including fireworks) are NOT allowed, this includes weapons that were real at one point (eg: the firing mechanism was removed).